Coast Guard Press Release:
DATE: December 20, 2010 1:49:33 PM EST
Coast Guard releases top videos of 2010, asks public to vote for favorites
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Coast Guard released its top 11 video compilation for 2010, Monday, highlighting the year's most compelling cases from the work done every day by America's Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard selected 11 videos to recognize the service's 11 statutory missions
and is inviting the public to vote for their favorite video as part of the service's 2010 Video of the Year contest. In 2010 the Coast Guard:
- Saved more than 4,300 lives and conducted more than 22,000 search and rescue cases.
- Prevented more than 200,000 pounds of cocaine from reaching the United States.
- Continued to provide unique military capability alongside the other armed services with six Coast Guard cutters and 400 personnel deployed to train Iraqi naval forces and protect Iraqi maritime oil infrastructure critical to that country's recovery.
- Boarded more than 2,100 High Interest Vessels bound for U.S. ports to ensure security and conducted nearly 9,000 inspections on foreign vessels entering U.S. ports to ensure safety and protect the environment.
- Interdicted nearly 4,700 undocumented migrants attempting to illegally enter the United States from the sea.
- Conducted more than 11,000 inspections on U.S.-flagged vessels ensuring they operated safely and in compliance with environmental laws.
- Conducted more than 5,000 fisheries conservation boardings.
"The Coast Guard's Top 11 Videos of 2010 highlight the dynamic and challenging environment our men and women operate in daily, as well as during major response operations such as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and the Operation Unified Response to assist the people of Haiti after the earthquake," said Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Bob Papp. "We conduct many of our missions out of the public eye, so I'm excited to take time at the end of the year to showcase the work of America's Coast Guard men and women. I encourage people to vote for the video they like best and I'm eager to learn the results of this year's contest."
The top 11 video compilation is available for viewing and download from the Coast Guard visual information site at http://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/
main.php?g2_itemId=1081158 and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=PQ2rgclfiaQ
. The top 11 video compilation includes:
- The rescue of an 11-year-old boy and his father who were caught in the surf near Pacific City, Ore., March 26 by a Coast Guard Air Station North Bend HH-65C Dolphin helicopter crew.
- The hoist of 17-year-old boy from a 200-foot cliff by an aircrew from Air Station Astoria, Ore., at Lewis and Clark State Park in Washington State, July 25.
- The rescue of a man clinging to a piling after wading too far from shore near Rollover Pass, Texas, by an aircrew from Air Station Houston, Texas, July 12.
- The rescue of an injured 64-year-old woman and her 49-year-old friend from their disabled 65-foot sailboat 200 miles west of St. Petersburg, Fla., Sept. 1, by an aircrew from Air Station Clearwater, Fla., that included a rescue swimmer on his first rescue.
- The rescue of two men from an overturned 26-foot boat approximately 30 miles west of Egmont Key, Fla., by an aircrew from Air Station Clearwater, Fla., Aug. 28.
- The relief efforts of members from Port Security Unit 307, St. Petersburg, Fla., and other Coast Guardsmen as they provide medical attention and materials to a Haitian orphanage and work to restore infrastructure, Feb. 3, in the wake of a magnitude 7.0 earthquake that devastated the island nation.
- The mid-air, helicopter delivery of crewmembers from Aids to Navigation Team San Diego by an Air Station San Diego aircrew to repair the broken Zuniga Jetty light at the entrance of San Diego Bay, Feb. 4, during bad weather.
- A wild ride by crewmembers aboard a 47-foot motor lifeboat from Station Bodega Bay, Calif., during training in heavy surf, July 13.
- Ice breaking operations by the Cutter Morro Bay on the Hudson River in New York, Jan. 13, to ensure the delivery of critical heating oil.
- Oil skimming operations off the coasts of Florida and Alabama during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill by the Cutters Juniper, Oak and Cypress, June 12.
- The construction of the only permanent aid to navigation tower north of the Arctic Circle by crewmembers of Aids to Navigation Team Kodiak four miles south of Point Hope, Alaska, Aug. 2.
Starting Tuesday, Dec. 21, and running through Dec. 31, the Coast Guard's official blog, the Coast Guard Compass, will publish one of the 11 videos each day featuring commentary from a service member involved in the mission. The public is encouraged to vote for their favorites by leaving a positive comment for the video on the blog at http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/For complete contest details please visit the Coast Guard Compass at http://coastguard.dodlive.
, or by choosing to “like” their favorites on YouTube in the Coast Guard's 2010 Video of the Year playlist at http://www.youtube.com/ user/USCGImagery?feature=mhum# p/c/1127964652239861or on the Coast Guard’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/uscoastguard.
Coasties. Don't go boating without them.