Gunsmoke was set in Dodge City, Kansas between 1872, when the Santa Fe Railroad reached town, and 1885, when local farmers forced the end of the Texas cattle drives along the Western Trail.The radio version starred William Conrad, a hard working voice and character actor who later became a TV star as Cannon, a somewhat rotund private detective.
1. Listened to "Gunsmoke" on AFN in Germany. Was allowed to stay up until 9 on Friday nights to take in the show.ReplyDelete
2. Upon return to the US in 1960 was totally fulfilled by James Arness' Matt Dillon. He was everything I expected in the role. (Was a WWII combat veteran and Purple Heart recipient, BTW)
3. Always found AFN a friend in some pretty nasty and lonely places.
4. Did not know William Conrad had the radio role.
5. Your blog entries are good and thoughtful and Midrats just gets better.
Thanks and V/R JWest
I think the radio program is, in many ways, better than the TV show. I will admit that I do prefer Festus Hagen to Chester Goode, though.ReplyDelete