The latest ICC CCS Weekly Piracy Report (to 5 Jan 2009) can be found here. Highlights:
* 04.01.2009: 05:40 UTC: Posn: 13:3.0N – 048:42.5E, Gulf of Aden. Six pirates in one white coloured speed boat attempted to board a bulk carrier underway. Three of these pirates were armed with machine guns and opened fire on the vessel. Master carried out evasive manoeuvres and contacted a coalition warship. Within 15 minutes a helicopter arrived at the location. The speed boats moved away on seeing the helicopter. No injuries to the crew and no damages to the ship.UPDATE: Added Gulf of Aden portion of ICC CCS Live Piracy Map from here.
* 02.01.2009: 0807 UTC: Posn: 13:42N - 050:39E, Gulf of Aden. Pirates in three skiffs attacked a tanker underway. They fired upon the tanker and attempted to board. Master raised alarm, contacted coalition warships, increased speed and took evasive manoeuvres. A coalition helicopter arrived and the pirates aborted the attempt.
* 02.01.2009: 0427 UTC: Posn: 13:11N - 047:32.5E, Gulf of Aden. Pirates in speed boats approached a tanker underway. One speed boat was spotted four nm and the other two were drifting seven nm ahead of the tanker. Master raised alarm, increased speed, took evasive manoeuvres and crew activated anti-piracy measures. The first speed boat came within two meters of the stbd quarter and fired upon the tanker. Master saw five pirates armed with machine guns. Coalition warships contacted. Pirates aborted the attempt after five minutes.
* 01.01.2009: 0747 LT: Posn: 13:55N - 047:58E, Gulf of Aden. Armed pirates attacked and hijacked a general cargo ship underway. 28 crewmembers taken hostage.
* 01.01.2009: 1230 UTC: Posn: 13:53N - 049:29E, Gulf of Aden. Four pirates in a speed boat attacked a bulk carrier underway. They fired upon the ship with automatic weapons and attempted to board. Master raised alarm, increased speed and took evasive manoeuvres. Pirates aborted the attempted attack.
* 01.01.2009: 0337 UTC: Posn: 13:05N – 047:03E: Gulf of Aden. Two skiffs approached a tanker underway and opened fire with automatic weapons. Master increased speed and made evasive manoeuvres, and sent a distress message via VHF radio. A warship and a helicopter were sent to assist the tanker. Upon seeing the warship and helicopter the skiff moved away.
* 31.12.2008: Posn: 13:8.0N – 47:27.0E: 1330 UTC: Gulf of Aden. A bulk carrier underway was chased and fired upon by pirates in speed boat. Naval warships informed and attack was prevented. Further report is awaited.